Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The XY trend continues

I'm sorry if this disappoints anyone who was hoping for a female grandchild to help keep poor outnumbered Joybear company, but our ultrasound session last week confirmed that Matt and I are indeed expecting a boy. So Angie and Jeff, it looks like the XX-chromosome-ball is in your court -- don't let us down! ;-)

Seriously though, Matt and I couldn't be happier, although we weren't all that set on a gender anyway (so long as it was one of them, har). We've decided on Simon as our little guy's name, although we're still a little up in the air as to a middle name. We may opt for Lawrence, after my own dad...but I kind of like Simon Matthew too, although Matt is still "thinking about it" (sheeesh, some people just can't take a compliment! *wink*). Does anyone else think that the Simon / Matthew name combo has too many "m" and "n" sounds?

The best news of all is that our little Si-guy has thus far a pretty clean bill of health. My sequential blood screen results were very good, and the level III ultrasound I had last week concurred the findings well enough where my perinatologist didn't feel the need to recommend amniocentesis. Looks like I'm off that particular hook this time around.

I'll post the ultrasound images below, but first I need to take a quick poll among the "Foster mothers" -- Diaper Genies; yea, or nay? Discuss!

Simon's foot:


His face and belly:


Yep, it's a boy alright!


His profile -- he was gulping for us again!

4 comments:

Angie said...

Wowsers! Those ultrasound pics are awesome! I love it when you can start telling which body parts are where.

Congrats on the boy! They're a lot of fun. I think Simon is a great name, and Simon Matthew does have a particular ring...

As far as Diaper Genies go, we don't own one, but I've heard that buying the refills for them will drain your wallet dry. We bought a diaper pail from Babies'R'Us (I think it's from Safety 1st...?) that uses normal 13 gallon trash bags, and it has a lid with a little diaper flap that pops up. It's pretty economical and practical, and it did a pretty good job keeping the smell contained...until he starting eating table foods. Now we keep it outside and change the bag more often, but it still works. Hope that helps.

Mark said...

You have some amazingly clear pics of your little man!

As far as the XY trend . . . history does seem to be repeating itself here. We'll see with Jeff and Angie's newest . . . if it's a girl, then it's only a 5:2 ratio and the gap is still within closing distance. But if it's a boy, then the discrepancy becomes increasingly lopsided.

As far as the diaper genie goes: don't waste your money. It's a good idea, but not worth the cost of the refills. You're better off using an airtight diaper pail and double-wrapping the toxic substances with left over grocery bags.

Danalin said...

I've been thinking about this...wondering when we were going to find out! Hooray! Boys are so, so great! Seriously, I want a bunch of them now that I've had Max.

I love, love, love the name Simon! I have to say that I really love Simon Matthew. Tell Matt that he can talk to Ty about his son getting his middle name...it wasn't Tyler's favorite either, but I think he's gotten used to it. I really love Maxwell Tyler (the boy and the name). I told Ty that I am the one carrying and giving birth to the babe, so the least I can do is get the middle name that I want. He agreed. :) That whole carrying a baby thing can carry a lot of weight in winning debates and getting things you want!

We were advised against the Diaper Genie as well. We actually didn't even go the diaper pail route at all. We just went to Wal-Mart and bought a small-ish garbage can with a lid. We don't even put trash liners in it. Never have. We just dump the diapers in (making sure that they are wrapped tightly so as not to leak into the garbage can...ewwww!) and then empty either when it gets smelly or once a week on garbage day. It has worked just as well - or better - than other diaper pails I have seen. And the great thing is that it was just the one-time fee of buying the can. No liners or anything. It's worked great for us. And like Angie said, the problems with smell don't really start to occur until they start eating big boy food. By then you'll start to empty the trash more frequently! I'm sure that we'll learn that even more in the next few months. :)

Anyway, CONGRATS again, Wendi and Matthew! We are thrilled to have another boy join the pack. This way Justin will have a fun same-gender friend close to his age. That's always great, I think!

Tyler said...

Wow, I can't believe how much Simon looks like Max did at that age:) They must be cousins!

Congrats on a baby boy! The masculine bias contiues...

I have to add some additional information to my wife's comments about our "diaper pail". It worked really well when Max's diapers didn't stink. It still works pretty well at sealing in odors considering how much some of his diapers stink now.

I have to say though that it REEKS if you open the lid and leave it open for more than about 2 seconds. I have gotten quick at making the drop. Actually, I am trying to start a trend in our house of taking all poopy diapers immediately to the garage garbage. I don't think it has totally caught on with everyone else in the household. It will in time, I'm sure...